Thursday, January 28, 2010

Review of President Barack Obama's State of the Union

My predictions about President Barack Obama's State of the Union address were right and wrong. I said he would focus on domestic issues like health care and the economic recession because these were the major concerns of the people. He did talk about health care, but it was only for a short time. He made it clear that he was going to back reform, but he did not clearly specify his exact plans.

In the beginning of his address he talked at length about the economy and supporting small businesses. He talked about tax cuts for middle-class families and putting America back to work building U.S. infrastructure and clean energy facilities. I knew he was going to address the economy, but I thought he would be talking more about education and clean energy than he did.

Obama used the last half of his speech to talk about the war and bi-partisan politics. I didn't really think he would be giving as much time as he did to talking about the war. It just seemed to me that the people cared more about unemployment and the health care bill, than foreign affairs. However, I'm glad he did talk about the war because it is still a very big concern and needs to be addressed. I was also glad to hear about bi-partisan politics because that's the only way any of the plans that Obama mentioned in his address, are going to get carried out.

1 comment:

  1. I was also surprised to not hear more about health care. I know the uncertainty of the health care reform due to the recent election of Scott Brown to the Senate is why, but I still thought he would talk more about it. I also thought he would talk more about education than he did.
    I was very glad to hear about his focus on creating jobs.

    ReplyDelete