Part of my class in JMC 414 Reporting Public Affairs is to follow a board or commission for the rest of the semester. My assignment is to get to know the people in the organization, research their activities and Web site and go to three of their public meetings. In the beginning of April I will be required to submit a proposal for an investigative story about information I have found out about and through the organization.
In the first class, I chose the Huntington Housing Authority. The board has regular meetings on the second Tuesday of every month, plus other various ones.
On Tuesday I will be going to my first meeting at the City Council Chambers for information on housing initiatives in Huntington.
I don’t know exactly what they will be talking about, but something along the lines of the city’s consolidation plan. Mainly the housing authority helps people who can’t afford it, find reasonably priced housing and offers them easy rental contracts.
The board has many different programs that it runs. It has a self-sufficiency program to assist the elderly and families, employment and training to help families enter work, a program to encourage the elderly to remain living in their homes and lastly a recreational program to help their customers live more enjoyably.
The organization also focuses on many other areas of importance like youth, tobacco prevention and art.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment