Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Proposal for nonprofit story

TO: Professor Morris
FROM: Emily Ayres

RE: The effect of the Great Recession on animals

SUBJECT: How the Humane Society of Parkersburg, Inc. is coping during the Great Recession

SCOPE: I will research the Humane Society’s financial expenses and distribution numbers and compare to previous years before the recession. I will ask what kind of changes have been made to adjust to the low economy of the Great Recession and what are the main causes for contribution money going down, if it did.

NEED: The Humane Society is a well-known charity and people need to know how well they are doing during this time and if they can still be relied upon for their services to animals.

METHODS: This story can be documented using the society’s financial statements and with information given by the officers in interviews.

SOURCES: I will be using Guidestar, the IRE Journal, my textbook and www.fourthestatethirdsector.blogspot.com. These sources will help me to know how to write a story reviewing the finances of a charity by giving me examples. These sources will also help me to ask the right questions and look for the correct information in the certain places it can be found. I will also use the Humane Society’s 990 forms and financial statements from the West Virginia Secretary of State

PRESENTATION: This will be an investigative story that will be blogged and presented to The Parthenon for possible publication.

FOLLOW-UP: Depending on the information I find, the story could lead to more blogs or publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment